Hail the start of Cookie Baking Season
The holidays are here, and so is cookie baking season… at least in my house! Each year I make a list of roughly a dozen different cookies and candies to make, go out and get all of my ingredients, and pick out the perfect cookie tins from my local dollar store. It takes me about a week of doing two cookies/candies each day, but at the end of the week, I line everything up assembly-line style, and create gift boxes to share with family and friends. This has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. And these Peanut Butter Blossoms are always a well-requested item!
Disclosure: Please know that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. For more information, please click here. Thank you.Jump to Recipe
A Few Baking Hints…
- Keep your dough cold. This is going to help keep your cookies from spreading too much in the oven. I generally get about 15 dough balls on a baking sheet and refrigerate that sheet for about 5 minutes before they go in the oven.
- Don’t press the dough balls before baking. You want them to bake as round as possible. It’s cool–the kisses will help flatten the cookie.
- Pack your brown sugar. I learned a long time ago that brown sugar, butter, and shortening all are packed into the measuring cup. Recipes work better when these ingredients are packed tight and scraped flat across the top of the measuring spoon. Have issues with your brown sugar getting super hard? Here’s how I keep mine perfectly soft and workable.
- Make sure you keep your cookies the same size. When cookies are about the same size (hello, you beautiful scoop!), they bake much more uniformly. They also look nicer.
- Don’t go crazy smushing the kisses into the cookies. A gentle push is all ya need. Any more than that, and you’ll be left with chunks of cookies making a mess. No one wants that. Except maybe your husband that gets the messed up ones. But no one else wants that.
- About the sugar… Yes. It’s 2 cups of sugar. It makes 84 cookies. Stuff balances out in the end.
Let’s get baking!
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup peanut butter smooth
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp Watkins Baking Vanilla
- 1/4 cup white sugar for rolling
- 2 bags Hershey Kisses candy unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter, peanut butter, and sugars with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. (You want it to feel smooth… like all the sugar has dissolved into the butters.)
- Add eggs and baking vanilla to the dough, and allow to mix in thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour, soda, and salt. Add to dough slowly. When the dough is just incorporated, remove bowl from stand mixer.
Thanks for stopping by! Lookin’ forward to seeing ya next time! Be sure to follow me on all my Social Media for more fun!