A Midwestern Classic
If you grew up in Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, or Illinois, when you hear the word “Scotcharoos,” your mouth most likely starts watering in anticipation. If you grew up anywhere else, you probably have no idea what those of us from the fly-over states are getting all hot and bothered about. But wait! It’s high time you were introduced to these delicious little “Rice Krispee Treats on Steroids” and found out what all the fuss is about. Scotcharoos’ time has come… the rest of the world has waited too long to learn about these treats!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Perfect For Summer
These bar cookies are definitely great any time of the year, but they’re especially nice to make during the summer. Why? They’re no-bake. That hot box that heats up the entire house (aka your oven) can just sit there in your kitchen and just look pretty while you make these. I don’t know about you, but any time I can enjoy a fresh “baked” treat that I made myself, without actually baking it, especially in the super-hot summer months, it’s a major win. All around.
With this recipe in particular, you will definitely want to prepare all of your ingredients, baking dishes & utensils, and whatnot before you get started melting stuff. This recipe prepares quickly, and because it does prepare so quickly, having everything ready to go before you start is key to success. Make sure you have the following ready to go before you start:
- Large mixing bowl
- A large pan (at least 6 quarts)
- Large rubber spatula
- A large bar pan (at least 10×8)
- Freezer paper or cling wrap
- A can of cooking spray (like Pam)
- A rolling pin
- Lots of room temperature butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ bag butterscotch baking chips
- 7 cups Rice Krispee cereal
- 1½ bags mini milk chocolate baking chips
- butter Extra for greasing bowl and bar pan
- Melt butter, peanut butter, and butterscotch chips over medium heat.
- When fully melted, add entire bag of marshmallows, stirring often, until completely melted and incorperated
- While marshmallows are melting, butter large mixing bowl and bar pan very well, then add Rice Krispee cereal to mixing bowl.
- After everything is completely melted in the pan, quickly pour contents over Rice Krispee cereal in the large mixing bowl. Stir quickly, ensuring that every piece of cereal is completely coated in melted mixture.
- Pour contents of bowl onto well-buttered bar pan. Use spray oil (Pam) on freezer paper or cling wrap, then cover bar pan, and use a rolling pin to spread & press contents out over entire bar pan.
- Once base layer is spread, quickly pour mini milk chocolate baking chips over the entire contents, allow the heat from the base layer to melt chocolate chips, then use an offset spatula to evenly spread chocolate into a "frosting like" layer over bars.
- Allow to cool completely then cut into 24 squares
Have you joined the Savor Lifers community on Facebook yet? Be sure to join us for info about The Body Shop at Home, Scentsy goodies, recipes, fun, friends, and celebrating be proudly less-than-perfect!
Thanks for stopping by! Lookin’ forward to seeing ya next time! Be sure to follow me on all my Social Media for more fun!